Courtesy of the Automotive Service Association
The following simple and inexpensive preventive checks will greatly extend the life of the vehicle, ensure safer operation and even benefit the environment.
Always consult your owner's manual for individual service schedules because maintenance requirements vary by manufacturer.
- Always consult your owner's manual, but a good rule of thumb is to have the oil filter changed regularly - every 3,000 to 4,000 miles.
- Have all fluids checked, including brake, power steering, transmission/transaxle, windshield washer solvent and antifreeze. These fluids play a large role in the safety and performance of the vehicle.
- Check tire inflation. Under-inflated tires can result in a loss of fuel efficiency. This is the least expensive form of preventive and safety maintenance. Tires should be checked once a month.
- Keep your engine tuned. A fouled spark plug or plugged/restricted fuel injector can reduce fuel efficiency by as much as 30 percent.
- Have the chassis lubricated frequently. This step extends the life of the moving components of the vehicle's suspension system.
- Check battery cables and posts for corrosion and clean them as needed. The battery fluid also should be checked and filled if it is low, unless it is a maintenance-free battery.
- Have the lighting system checked frequently, including headlights, turn signals, and brake and taillights.
- Check windshield washer blades for cracks, tears and windshield contact. Replace them at least once a year, or sooner if streaking begins.
- Inspect engine belts regularly. Worn belts will affect the engine performance. Look for cracks and missing sections or segments.
- Have the air filtration system checked frequently. The air filter should be checked every other oil change for clogging or damage. This system ensures that the vehicle is performing at its peak condition.
Discover More About Maintenance and Repair Services At Dependable Auto Repair & Body in Queens
Auto AC & Heating Services
Inspections & Emissions
General Auto Repair Services
After looking for a trusty mechanic in NYC, I finally found it in dependable. I trust Jose and the crew with my car. Very clear and transparent estimates and pricing, very communicative about the work that needs to be done. Dependable is the perfect way to describe the service! Thanks Jose!
Dependable auto does great work, very honest and completes jobs in a timely fashion.
It's the only shop I trust to work on my Infiniti!
Car became disabled out in Rockaway so Geico Roadside Assistance picked me up. They recommended Dependable which thankfully was the perfect call. They took me in and got right to work on emergency repairs.
Super convenient for anyone living in or near Ridgewood and the staff was super friendly and consistent with repair updates. Looking forward to coming back, hopefully next time with an appointment and not a breakdown!
It's hard to find an honest mechanic these days. Jose stands behind his work and his warranty. Our car had issues that were covered under his warranty and he made the repair at no cost to us. You can't put a price on integrity.
I went to Dependable to have my alternator replaced after another mechanic had given me a cheap part three months before. Jose and his team were super fast with the job. They kept me informed and updated about the car, and worked with me regarding the manufacturer warranty for the alternator. The price was also super reasonable. I would definitely work with them again.
Whenever I have an issue with my car, I always bring it to Dependable Auto. Jose and his team are always honest and transparent about pricing and don't try to oversell or overstate issues.